AE Vol. 44, No. 2, Feb 1987
‘pause and think calmly of that’ (Amplified Bible)
BIBLE TRIVIA (Not that the Bible is trivial)
A truly fascinating side to the Bible is revealed when one looks into its history. Did you know that...
• The Bible was the first religious book to be taken into outer space?
• The Bible was one of the first major books translated (Septuagint: Greek translation of the Hebrew Old Testament ca 250 BC)?
• It has been reported for about 50 years that the Bible has been the largest seller of all books published?
The British and Foreign Bible Society had to publish 'one copy every three seconds, day and night: 1,369 copies every hour, day and night; 32,876 copies every day of the year' in order to meet demand.
"No other book has been known anything approaching this constant circu- lation' (Cambridge History of the Bible).
• The longest telegram in the world was the Revised Version new Testament sent from new York to Chicago?
• The Bible was the first book to be printed with movable type (Gutenberg's press)?
• The Wycliffe Bible was the first complete Bible to appear in English? It was initiated by John Wycliffe around 1382 and completed by John Purvey in 1398.
• The Bible was divided into chapters by Stephen Langton at about 1228?
• The Old Testament was divided into verses by R. nathan in 1448 and the new Testament by Robert Stephanus in 1551?
• The entire Bible divided into chapters and verses first appeared in the Geneva Bible in 1560?
• The King James Version contains 31,095 verses, divided into 1,189 chapters?
• Just 50 years after the death of Voltaire in 1778, the Geneva Bible Society used his press and house to produce stacks of Bibles? Voltaire boasted the extinction of Christianity and the Bible: 'One hundred years from my death there will not be a Bible on the earth, except one that is looked upon by an antiquarian curiosity-seeker.'
• The books of the Bible were compiled over a period of 1,500 years; written over 40 generations; by more than 40 authors and editors from every walk of life, including kings, peasants, philosophers, poets, statesmen, scholars; written in different places, times and moods; and on three continents (Asia, Africa and Europe) and in three different languages (Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek) — yet express continuity of message and theme?
• Rare copies of the Bible are among the most expensive books sold? Gutenberg's Vulgate sells for more than $ 140,000. The Russians sold the Codex Sinaiticus (an early manuscript of the Bible) to England for the equivalent of $500,000
Supplied by The Bible Society in Australia, Qld. in conjunction with their 'Handwritten Bible Project'. See page 25.
CREATIVE CHRISTIAN ENTERPRISES
P.O. Box 707, Penrith 2750. Telephone: (047) 316 813
The following Bible Study Booklets contain as many studies as there are chapters in each of these books of the Bible. The studies consist of a series of questions and space to write the answer. Each A4 size booklet is colourfully bound and available for $3.00 + 20% Sales Tax = $3.60
CCE BIBLE STUDY SERIES
Expedition through ACTS
Enriched through ROMANS
Encountering / CORINTHIANS
Encountering 2 CORINTHIANS
Enlightened By GALATIANS— EPHESIANS
Edified By PHILIPPIANS — 2 THESSALONIANS
Exhorted by / TIMOTHY — PHILEMON
Established Through JAMES — 2 PETER 10. Encouraged by 1 JOI1M — JUDE
EXPERIENCES FROM LIFE (Volume 1)
7 Plays for children suitable for audio visuals
These plays are in Christian family settings and take 10— 15 minutes to enact or record. By taking photos in slide form in the natural environment portrayed in these plays, they become fruitful and fun, learning tools.
EXPERIENCES FROM LIFE Volume 1 is a 40 page A4 size spiral bound booklet for easy use and available for $4.25 + 20% Sales Tax = $5.10
When OrderingAdd Postage 6f Handling
I Book All States $ 2.00
Up to $60' MSW/VIC $ 4.00
Other States $ 6.00 Over $60* MSW/VIC $ 5.00
Other States $10.00 'Price without Tax.
(If exempt from Sales Tax, please give exemption number when ordering.)
TEEN CHALLENGE VICTORIA INC. ASSISTANT DIRECTOR
The Executive Director and Board of Administration are inviting applications for the position of Assistant Director to work in the expanding minisatry of Teen Challenge Victoria.
Applicants should be mature Christians with a pastor's heart, teaching skills and some administration skills.
Interested applicants should write giving details of past experience and qualifications to Teen Challenge Victoria Inc. P.O. Box 1091, St Kilda Sth., 3182.
 AE Vol. 44, No. 2, Feb 1987
Conference theme: Signs and Wonders
11th-1th May 1987, Chandler Sports Complex, Brisbane
Our 1987 COmmonwealth conference brings together two renowned speakers, Dr. Paul Yonggi-Cho, Senior Pastor of Yoido Full Gospel Church in Seoul, Korea, and Dr Charles E. Blair, Senior Pastor of Calvary Temple, Denver, USA.
Don't miss your opportunity to experience this outstanding ministry. Registration is open to everyone, so why not combine your holidays for 87 with Jubilee Conference.
Rev. Andrew Evans
Rev. Phillip Hills
Rev. Normal Armstrong
Rev. David Cartledge
Rev. Frank Houston
Rev. John Lewis
Rev. Brian Houston
Rev. Steve Penny
Rev. Reginald Klimionok
Registration forms will be available in January from all A.O.G. Assemblies and from the Secretary, Commonwealth COnference Committee, PO Box 69, Everton Park 4653 Qld.
For further information, Wendy Megchelse, 07-3531377
Accommodation and Transport enquiries: Dan Kelly, 07-3783353
Assemblies of God